Bounded roughly by Grand, Plymouth, Forest, and Salem in North Dayton
The Grafton Hill Historic District is a small 18 block sector of Dayton developed in the late 19th century. Although sometimes considered part of Dayton View, Grafton Hill has its own separate and important existence and history. It was developed at a time when Dayton’s population was moving from the center of the city outward, north of the Miami River.
Grafton Hill was enlarged and enriched in 1875 when John Stoddard, a wealthy and prominent farm implement manufacturer, developed the exclusive Belmonte Park residential area. The construction of the Dayton Art Institute and Masonic Temple added to the affluent aura of the community. The fashionable nature of Grafton Hill was maintained until the 1950s when the area began to suffer a decline.
Now experiencing a revival, Grafton Hill is made up of a splendid grouping of classic residences built during the period from the 1880s to the 1920s. The beauty of Grafton Hill enhanced by is unusual variety of architecture. The area is dominated by the Jacobeathan style but also contains Queen Anne, Victorian, Craftsman and Tudor style homes. Grafton Hill was designated an historic District in 1988.
The Grafton Hill Association is a strong and committed neighborhood association which undertakes many activities of the betterment of the area.