Bounded roughly by East Third, Bell, East Fifth, and Terry streets in East Dayton.
The Huffman Historic District is a 10-square-block area of mostly vernacular houses with Victorian detailing. The high styles in evidence – Queen Anne, Victorian Italianate, and Italian Villa – are primarily concentrated on Linden Avenue at the eastern edge of the district and were built between 1860 and 1900.
The district provides the strongest representative sampling with the city of the architecture of the late 19th century including blue-collar, artisan, merchant, and managerial-class residences.
The neighborhood began to grow in the mid-19th century when a Dayton businessman, William P. Huffman, purchased an east coast company and moved it and the employees to Dayton. He located the company east of the downtown area and sold the employees land and houses nearby. His children received elaborate mansions built on Linden Avenue as wedding presents. That block of homes became a glittering center of Dayton social activity in the late 1800s and encouraged the building of the solid, substantial homes that still stand today.
Mr. Huffman’s business venture succeeded also and became the Huffy Bicycle Company. His contribution is honored by using a high-wheeled bicycle to identify the neighborhood he created. In 1995, the Huffman Historic District was home to the city’s second Rehabarama.