Located on Leonhard Street near the intersection of Webster and Keowee. Owned by the Webster Realty Company.
The Duncarrick (Gaelic for “home of the Kennedy’s”) Mansion was originally erected as a farmhouse sometime before 1850. Grafton C. Kennedy, a prominent Dayton lawyer, bought the property in 1887.
This manor house was designed by the architectural firm of Peters, Burns and Pretzinger. Albert Pretzinger is considered Dayton’s’ foremost native architect and several of his buildings are included on the National Register.
Duncarrick is significant architecturally as an example of American provincial architecture successfully superimposing Tudor detail on a basic American home type. The L-shaped brick structure is clad in a thick rough coat of red stucco with Tudor detailing in terra-cotta. The facade features the Kennedy arms sculpted over the central arch, and a main doorway with fifteen panel door including three oversized checker board patterned lights and an elaborate wooed surround. The interior includes neoclassical ornamentation, baths with original tile and fixtures, and a billiard room on the third floor.
Placed on the National Register in 1983, Duncarrick has national significance as the birthplace and lifelong residence of Katharine Kennedy Brown (1891-1986), daughter of Grafton C. Kennedy. Mrs. Brown began her political activities in 1920, shortly after women won suffrage, and served as Ohio’s Republican national Committeewoman from 1932 through 1968.
This mansion with carriage house and wooded grounds in now owned by a private individual. The site is zoned for industry and is in the middle of a busy commercial corridor.