Located north of downtown Dayton on Main Street at Merrimac Street. Owned by Montgomery County.
Shawen Acres, last used as the headquarters for Children’s Services was originally designed as an orphan’s home. Dr. Charles Shawen donated 19 acres to the county March 21, 1926 for “wayward and homeless children.” The complex was built in 1926-27 and was used as an orphan’s home until the late 1970’s. The 19-acre center consisted of a main building, annex, gym, and 10 quaint, English-style cottages in a park-like setting. The center received recognition because the center’s structures are an example of English cottage architecture and represented the reform movement that was predominant in the 1920’s. The cottage complex was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.